Friday, December 17, 2010

About Me: All-Time Favorite Books

What are your all-time favorite books? What are some new books you have come to love because of starting your blog? (Another post from the blogger feature at Page by Page

I love so many books for very different reasons so selecting my all-time favorite books is somewhat daunting. This is the short list, but there could certainly be more:

 Cousin Matilda and the Foolish Wolf by Joanna Cole
This is the first book that I remember my grandma reading to me and my sister. We would have her read it to us over and over again. My grandma doesn't know it yet, but I am going to ask her to let me record her reading it, so that I will always have her voice telling me the story of Cousin Matilda and that foolish, foolish wolf.


 

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
Growing up, I read in phases - dozens of books at a time and some years, I read only what was assigned to me by my high school teachers and college professors.I had just finished at the local junior college and was getting ready to start at four-year university. I didn't know exactly what I would major in and coming in as a junior, I needed to figure it out and quick. I don't remember what made me pick up and read this book when I did, but it was life-changing for me. It renewed a love for reading that I had forgotten I had and ultimately led me to studying literature in college.

You Remind Me of You by Eireann Corrigan
There are some books that create such deep emotions in me that I almost feel like I am betraying the book if I speak about it too much. I feel this way about You Remind Me of You. I love it, you should read it.
Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty
Megan McCafferty is one of my all-time favorite writers. Her Jessica Darling series is just too funny and has one of the most swoon-worthy characters of all-time, Marcus Flutie. I was lucky to find this series when Sloppy Firsts was originally published and having to wait a year or two for each book to be published and the anticipation that created, only added to my love for her books. Of the five books of the series, Second Helpings is my favorite.
Since starting my blog, I have come across a lot of terrific books. My Wish List and To Be Read lists are getting out of control! Some of my new favorites are:


A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley
Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian
Love Is the Higher Law by David Levithan
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - I actually read this one when I was considering starting my blog, but I did discover it on a blog.


3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those, but you're making me want to add them to the list! I love hearing what others choose as their favorites and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these picks - so eclectic and brilliant. I adore Melina Marchetta and Cath Crowley (her latest novel 'Graffiti Moon' is such a favoourite of mine!)

    I have read Siobvan Vivians first two books but am waiting for the paperback release of her latest :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short Story Slore - it was so hard to naroow it down to 4 books, that probably why I snuck in my "new favorites"

    Nomes - I am loving Melina Marchetta and Cath Crowley. I can't wait to get my hands on copies of Graffiti Moon and the upcoming The Piper's Son. I hate that I have to wait until March to read it.

    You have to read Siobhan's Not That Kind of Girl asap. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs