In My Mailbox is a weekly meme run by The Story Siren which explores the books that have been delivered to our mailbox or doorstep or directly into our hot little hands.
Purchased : Catching Fire and Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins
Library: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Won!!: The Petting Zoo by Jim Carroll
It wasn't until I was taking the picture that I realized that every book has an image of a bird on it. I was really excited when I received The Petting Zoo. I knew that it was coming but I wasn't sure when. I've been a fan of Jim Carroll's ever since reading The Basketball Diaries.
1. Last week I posted that I was curious about the books the character Becca was reading on ABC Family's Huge. Well, this week I didn't have to wonder as I recognized the cover immediately. It is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It would make sense that Becca would be reading this book, because she is a wallflower. She is very observant and has a lot to say, but there aren't too many people that she shares her ideas with because others are too busy trying to fit it.
2. This week so many of my favorite blogs have had posts about the release of Mockingjay. Having not yet read any of the series, I didn't want to come across any spoilers. I've wanted to read The Hunger Games, but would always have another book that I wanted to read just a little bit more. Avoiding the blogs sure has made for one lonely week. Which is why . . .
3. I am currently reading The Hunger Games. Only on page 20, but I am hooked!
4. Soon to leave the shelf: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (that is if I don't go and buy the rest of the HG trilogy tomorrow!)
5. Just curious, when you aren't a teen and don't have a teen, how old is too old to watch American Teen?
In My Mailbox is a weekly meme run by The Story Siren which explores the books that have been delivered to our mailbox (or doorstep, library, or directly into our hot little hands)
Purchased: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Mothers & Other Liars by Amy Bourret
I read a chapter sample of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour on Barnes and Noble eReader and I just couldn't wait to get it. I also purchased Mothers & Other Liars while shopping with a friend. It was pretty much an impulse buy, but the title and the cover picture had me sold!
The Friday Five comes from Sarah Dessen's blog on LiveJournal. I've been following this blog the longest and love how she recaps her week with the Friday Five, now called the Five.
Here, I will recap my week with connections to books I am reading, have read, want to read and other random musings.
1. Last weekend I saw my all-time favorite band, Maroon 5 with one of my best girlfriends. It was the 5th M5 concert I have been to and they just keep getting better. Part of the fun is the road trip to see them and singing along to our favorite songs (a lot from the first album, Songs about Jane) and wondering what woman could have done Adam so wrong that he wrote so many songs about his tortured love. We definitely wouldn't do him wrong. Well, of course, there are always two (or more) sides to every story. What does this have to do with books? Well, I've read some fun books about the everyday girl, whose love-life becomes everyone's business because of a boy. A boy who just happens to have written a hit song about their relationship. Or the end of their relationship. Robin Benway's Audrey, Wait! and Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus's Dedication show what is like to be the girl whose personal life everyone likes to sing along to.
2. I am a huge fan of Megan McCafferty and her Jessica Darling Series. Sometimes when you love something so much, it is hard to put into words why you love it. You're afraid you won't do it justice or you will focus on one particular part and forget to tell about the best parts. Well . . . thank goodness someone can get it together. Over at Forever Young Adult, you will find the best book report on the whole series. http://www.foreveryoungadult.com/2010/08/19/jessica-notso-darling-isso-my-bff/ Thank you for putting into words what would only make me tongue-tied. Love it, love it, love it.
3. Right now I am reading Absolutely Maybe by Lisa Yee. Even with the heavy subject matter it is a fun read. Review will be coming soon.
4. Soon to Leave the Shelf: Tricks by Ellen Hopkins. I am excited to read this book as it has been on my bookshelf for almost a year. Why haven't I read it yet? Well, I have this weird thing about authors that I really like. I will buy their books the week and sometimes even the day the book is in the bookstore, but I will hold off reading the book I have just acquired until the next book by the author is about to hit the bookstore. Since Hopkins's next book Fallout will be out September 13th, I'm ready to take Tricks off the shelf.
5. I've been watching the new show Huge on ABC Family. I am always trying to see books that the character Becca is reading. In almost every scene that she is in, she is reading a book, but I can never tell what it is. If anyone knows, please post them here. Do I plan to read them, maybe not, but I want to know what they are. I'm weird like that.
This has been my first Friday Five and with an hour to spare, I can still call it the Friday Five. Whew!