Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire








Walking Disaster
by Jamie McGuire
Published by Atria Books
Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Pages: 448
Source: ARC from Atria Books via NetGalley












(from Goodreads)
Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.


My Thoughts 

A few months ago my book club read Beautiful Disaster (check out our discussion here) and more than anything I wanted to know Travis's perspective and his thoughts. So when I found out Walking Disaster would be published, I couldn't wait to read it. And then I did. I hate that I don't have many good things to say about it, but I just don't. Walking Disaster was too much like Beautiful Disaster, and while it is still Travis and Abby's story and follows the same timeline, I just thought it would offer more insight into who Travis was. He would be more passionate, more emotional, just more. But he was still such a hothead and brutish and it made me question why Abby put up with him. 

Also I expected more scenes and conversations that Travis has with America and Shepley that Abby didn't witness. There were a few, but I thought there would be more. I suppose I'm disappointed by what I expected Walking Disaster to be more than what it actually is. I had high hopes for the story that I wanted it to be. 

What I did like: the portrayal of Travis's relationship with his brother Trent. The interactions between the siblings seemed realistic. Trent was a character I wanted to know more about and would want to read his story. I also liked finding out the origin of the nickname Pigeon - it made it more special. And I did like that Walking Disaster went beyond the ending of Beautiful Disaster giving readers a little more of their story - (but then there was the epilogue).

As much as this book was a disappointment to me,  I wouldn't tell readers to pass on it. But I would tell them, even though it is a companion novel, they should definitely read Beautiful Disaster first. 

Disclaimer: I accepted this novel for review from NetGalley and this review is based on the Advance Readers Copy. I did not receive any compensation for providing this review. Thoughts and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cover! Too bad you didn't like it, thanks for your honest review. I might read Beautiful Disaster first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, I just expected more. I do look forward to talking about it with my book club and finding our what they think about it.
    And I can't even talk about the cover, but I will say that I like the UK cover better.

    You should read Beautiful Disaster and get some friends to read it with you. It's a fun book to talk about!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs