Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review.2: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Back in April, I shared my review of Jamie McGuire's Walking Disaster - her companion novel to Beautiful Disaster. I read Walking Disaster after reading Beautiful Disaster for my book club. I looked forward to learning the story from Travis's perspective. I didn't love it. You can read what I thought about it here in my review. My friend (and fellow book club member), EMillie didn't agree with my review and made sure to tell me about it. I asked her to share her thoughts on Walking Disaster and even invited her to provide an alternate review to a story that she really loved. You can call it Review.2.






Walking Disaster
by Jamie McGuire
Published by Atria Books
Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Pages: 448
Source: Purchased












(from Goodreads)
Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.


Guest Review: EMillie's Thoughts

Because I loved Beautiful Disaster, I was eager to read Walking Disaster.  I was not disappointed.  Some readers were.  Some reviews I have read bashed the story for not being any different from the first.  I just have to ask, what did you expect?  It was supposed to be Abby and Travis’s story from Travis’s point of view.  I loved that you got to experience it from Travis’s eyes and heart.  You found out why he was the way he was, the reason he loved the way he loved and the reason why he had fought his way through life.

In Beautiful Disaster it seemed Travis was a loner but in Walking Disaster you find his father and brothers play a bigger part in his life than expected. It was reassuring to know Abby, who didn’t have any family except for America, would have a family structure to fall back on with the Maddox men. 

It was also a treat to read in more detail about the puppy present and the ring selection.  Those two events were important milestones along the way but lacked depth in Beautiful Disaster.

Furthermore, I was so grateful the author elaborated on the mob fight in Las Vegas.  I was upset scene was omitted in Beautiful Disaster.  They go in for the fight and the next thing you read is he exits a winner.  Too intense of a build up just for it to drop off the way it did.

In closing I feel it is necessary to read both books.  They complete each other to give you the full story.

Thanks EMillie!! I loved having you provide a guest review on my blog. It goes to show that we all embrace different parts of stories and characters and love books for many different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs