Saturday, July 31, 2010

Review: Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine







Broken Soup
by Jenny Valetine
Publication Date: March 24, 2009
Published by Harper Teen
Pages: 224
Source: Library
Purchase  Amazon / Indiebound








  (from Goodreads)
Positive.

Negative.

It's how you look at it. . . .  
Someone shoves a photo negative into Rowan's hands. She is distracted but, frankly, she has larger problems to worry about. Her brother is dead. Her father has left. Her mother won't get out of bed. She has to take care of her younger sister. And keep it all together . . . 

But Rowan is curious about the mysterious boy and the negative. Who is he? Why did he give it to her? The mystery only deepens when the photo is developed and the inconceivable appears. 

Everything is about to change for Rowan. . . . Finally, something positive is in her life.
Award-winning author Jenny Valentine delivers a powerful and life-affirming story of grief, friendship, and healing that will resonate long after the last page.



My Thoughts

I learned about this book from a blog post by YAnnabe and wanted to read it because she gushed about how much she loved the book. When I found it at my local library, it went to the top of my reading list.

Even though I caught on pretty quick to how the story would progress and eventually end, it didn't take away from the emotion of the main character, Rowan and the familial responsibility and loss that she was feeling after the sudden death of her brother. I loved reading about the unexpected friendships that developed between Rowan and Bee and Rowan and Harper. And the relationship between Rowan and her sister Stroma helped to balance the heaviness of the rest of the novel.

I stumbled across this book by chance, and I am that I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs