Friday, September 23, 2011

Love My Indie with Sarah from The Brazen Bookworm

Love My Indie is a feature where fellow bloggers, readers, and authors share their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them. Maybe one day I will have the chance to visit these amazing bookstores.

Showing some Indie Love today is:



(Photo courtesy of Anderson's Bookshop)
If I could spend a week living somewhere mysterious and special รก la Claudia in From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, I’d spend my days and nights at Anderson’s Bookshop in Naperville, Illinois.  The best part?  I’d be sure to find some of my favorite authors seeking sanctuary there as well.

Anderson’s is an institution in the Chicago book world, with three locations throughout the western suburbs. The Naperville shop is the heart of the operation, though.  It’s not a huge space, but the inside is double-stuffed with books from every genre and the staff members seriously know and love books.  It’s been a family-run store for five generations and the family commitment to sharing good books is what makes the store a destination for book-lovers from around the Midwest.  

(Photo courtesy of Anderson's Bookshop)
The Anderson’s staff has built a flourishing community for book-lovers in their quaint storefront.  They run multiple book clubs for kids, adults, and adults who like to read kid books.  They host special conferences and workshops for teachers, and they operate book fairs throughout Chicagoland.  

What makes Anderson’s completely amazing, though, is its connection to authors and the publishing world.  The store hosts author events and signings on an almost daily basis, and over the years, everyone from J.K. Rowling to Laura Bush has stopped in.  In the next month alone, Anderson’s will host events with Caroline Kennedy, Roger Ebert, Bill Bryson, Philippa Gregory, and Dave Barry to name just a few.  This past summer, I attended the This Is Teen event featuring YA authors Libba Bray, Meg Cabot and Maggie Stiefvater one night and went back again the following day for a book signing by Doc author Mary Doria Russell.  And from what I have gathered, authors love to visit Anderson’s because they know it’s a way to connect with real readers.

If you’re ever near Chicago, Anderson’s is a must-visit.  You never know who else might be there!

Sarah, thank you for sharing your favorite independent bookstore. I have heard many wonderful things about Anderson's Bookshop. It must be exciting to get to attend all of the wonderful author events. I know that if I ever make it back to Chicago, it will be one of my first stops!
Readers, bloggers, authors - Want to share your favorite independent bookstore? Sign up HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs