Sunday, April 29, 2012

First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky





First Comes Love
by Katie Kacvinsky
Published by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Publication Date May 8, 2012
Pages: 198
Sources: Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours










Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry.
(from Goodreads)


My Thoughts

It's strange when you know that you are going to love a book after reading just the first few sentences, but that is exactly how I felt when I started reading First Comes Love. Honestly, the opening line had me hooked. Out of the corner of my eye, I'm watching a girl. That is all that it took for me to become committed to this story and to these characters I was about to meet. And after a few chapters in, I could tell that it was becoming one of my favorite stories of friendship and love. 

The synopsis really does tell a lot about what happens - an unlikely couple meets, becomes friends and that friendship grows into a romantic relationship, but it's the emotions I felt while reading the story that made me recognize the complexity of their relationship. Everything wasn't perfect and the characters had to grow and share and were honest with each other in a way that is so rare and so real.

I loved Dylan and Gray so, so much. Dylan had a way about her that was free and spontaneous and silly. She wants to experience the most from life that she can. But I think that she was so hopeful that made me like her so much. And Gray - he was so lonely and guarded. But when he did start to open up, it was so easy for me (the reader) to fall in love with him. I wanted to know him and what he was all about.

Another wonderful thing about First Comes Love is that it is told from alternating points of view so you knew what both characters where thinking about the same situations. You got to learn what they both thought when they first met each other, their first time spending time together, and their first kiss.

There were so many fantastic moments - some sweet and romantic. Some serious and some sexy. Some thoughtful and insightful. While I was reading, I kept bookmarking everything that I loved until there was almost something on every page. It is that good! Here are some of my favorite lines (which all happen to be spoken or thought by Dylan):

"It's amazing the truth people expose when they think no one is watching." (page 6)

"On the surface he might be callused, but looking through a creative lens, I see layers and textures. He reminds me of a folding chair, closed in and waiting to be shoved in a storage closet. I'm determined to see him unfold." (page 9)

"People become pieces inside of you. They can fill you up and make you whole." (page 68)

"He wrapped his arms around me and held me so close our ribs were connecting. He kept breathing me in. I could feel my heart rise and sink, rise and sink with every breath." (page 160)

"It's strange how people tell you things at the exact moment you need to hear them. Words can be the most comforting of all. They can pick you up and keep you moving." (page 173)
These could go on and on and I could keep going on and on about this book, I think that it is that terrific. I can't wait to get a copy of my own to read again and again!!

Disclaimer: I received the book for review as part of the Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours. Thoughts and opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for providing a review. Quotes are taken from the Advance Reading Copy and may differ from the final published version.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book I can't pass up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book that I will get swept up in and not want to put down until the last page!

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore to no end Katie's way of telling a story. My favorite book I've read in the young adult genre, by far, has been "Awaken"... I cannot wait for this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore to no end Katie's way of telling a story. My favorite book I've read in the young adult genre, by far, has been "Awaken"... I cannot wait for this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really great book. Thank you very much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love stories with alternating points of view. I feel like a get a more complete reading experience. I'm also a sucker for a good opening line. Great review. I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I love books that have an alternating point of view. Best ever! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you said you fell in love with this book from the first sentence, I think I fell in love with it because of your review! I LOOOVE alternating POV books & now that I know FCL has alternating POV's, I'm bouncing on my bed just waiting for it to reales! Love the quotes to, this really seems just like my type of book! Terrific review :D

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies♥
    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't sure whether or not this was gonna be a book I'd add to my endless to-read list but you've convinced me with your stellar review! And those passages...*sigh*. Thanks so much for the review!

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, this book sounds so cute!! It sounds like one of those that make me all warm and fuzzy inside♥♥ Can't wait to get my hands on it:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when books get you hooked just from the first few lines. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love stories told in multiple viewpoints. great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard about this book until I read this review. This book has now gone on my TBR list & I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. It sounds awesome. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs