I'm both fascinated and baffled by the whole idea of the Promposal and it is one of the reasons why I wanted to read MY KIND OF CRAZY by Robin Reul. Today I get to host Robin for part of her book tour. She shares part of her extensive playlist she compiled while writing MY KIND OF FOREVER. Find out more about My KIND OF CRAZY and then enter for a chance to win one of three copies.
My Kind of Crazy
By Robin Reul
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Despite the best of intentions, seventeen-year old, wisecracking Hank Kirby can’t quite seem to catch a break. It’s not that he means to screw things up all the time, it just happens. A lot. Case in point: his attempt to ask out the girl he likes literally goes up in flames when he spells “Prom” in sparklers on her lawn…and nearly burns down her house.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Peyton Breedlove, a brooding loner and budding pyromaniac, witnesses the whole thing. Much to Hank’s dismay, Peyton takes an interest in him—and his “work.” The two are thrust into an unusual friendship, but their boundaries are tested when Hank learns that Peyton is hiding some dark secrets, secrets that may change everything he thought he knew about Peyton.
ROBIN'S MY KIND OF CRAZY PLAYLIST
The playlist I made for MY KIND OF CRAZY is actually quite long and eclectic and kept evolving as the writing process went along. These were a few of my favorites that definitely helped set the mood of a scene or allowed me to really get in the skin of these characters:
1. Let’s Get It Started (The Black Eyed Peas) – The opening scene. This song perfectly captures the soundtrack of the moment Hank sees his plan has backfired and things are about to go terribly, terribly wrong. I just imagine his eyes widening in horror as he quickly jumps on his bike pedaling like a madman away from the scene of his latest screw-up.
2. Elastic Heart (Sia) – Peyton. She is such a resilient character, vulnerable yet tough as nails, a survivor. The moment I first heard this song it became my go-to when I wanted to get into the heart of her character.
3. World Spins Madly On (The Weepies) – Hank. This song is just the essence of Hank to me. Gentle, poignant, introspective and hopeful.
4. Gloria (Umberto Tozzi) – Nick. Nick is such a character, from his physical features to his colorful family life, that whenever I wrote him I couldn’t help but smile every time he found his way on to the page. This song echoes that kind of can’t-help-but-smile feeling.
5. Ça Plane Pour Moi (Plastic Bertrand) – The scene where Hank comes up with a plan to find Peyton, and it’s so crazy it just might work. Can’t say much more than that without spoilers as far as a description. The fast-paced upbeat energy of this song created a montage in my mind as I was writing this scene of Hank on a mission. And even if he screws up (and the odds are with him on that one) it still promises to be entertaining.
6. Bitter Sweet Symphony (The Verve) – The ending. This song has resonated with me for decades, and it’s title really just says it all. It encapsulates the energy of that poignant moment in life where you’re no longer who you’ve been but are still figuring out who you are going to be.
ABOUT ROBIN REUL:Robin Reul has been writing since she was in early elementary school, when she used to make her own book club flyers for her classmates and then pen them original stories. Though she grew up on movie sets and worked for many years in the film and television industry both as an actress and in motion picture development, she ultimately decided to focus her attention on writing young adult novels. She likes to write the same kinds of stories she loved as a teen: the ones that give her with butterflies in her stomach and are filled with quirky, memorable characters who stay with the reader long after the story ends. When she’s not writing, Robin can be found singlehandedly driving up the profit margin of her local Starbucks and indulging her love of baked goods, particularly those in the key of pumpkin. She lives in Los Angeles suburbia with her husband, son and daughter.
Find Robin Online:
3/28: Novel Ink - Review
3/30: Kelly Vision - Review
4/1: Avid Reader - Review
3 Finished Copies of MY KIND OF CRAZY (US Only)