Monday, November 8, 2010

PUSH Author Interview - Siobhan Vivian


Siobhan Vivian's latest novel Not That Kind of Girl was published in September 2010. With recognizable female characters and a swoon-worthy hottie, Not That Kind of Girl has easily become one of my favorite books of the year.

Siobhan is also the author of YA novels A Little Friendly Advice and Same Difference. You can visit her website at www.siobhanvivian.com 





Can you describe your experience having your first book A Little Friendly Advice published by PUSH?

It was a dream come true. I had such respect for David Levithan, and the PUSH philosophy, and so I was thrilled to make my writing debut within that imprint.

Where is your favorite place to write? Do you participate in writing circles or workshops?

I like to write in my home office. I didn't have the luxury of having a dedicated workspace when I lived in Brooklyn, but it's been a definite perk of Pittsburgh. And while I don't participate in a regular critique group, I do have a few writer friends who I share work with. 

I just read Not That Kind of Girl and loved it. I could identify parts of my teenage self in Natalie, Spencer and Autumn. How would you describe yourself as a teenager?

I was definitely a Spencer kind of girl, though I didn't behave as extreme. But I certainly sought approval from boys with some questionable behavior. 

One of my favorite scenes in Not That Kind of Girl is when Natalie is dressed in the eagle costume at the football game, and she hears Connor defend her to Mike, "That girl is seriously tough, I wouldn't mess with her." Please tell me he didn't know she was the eagle when he said it. 

He didn't! Natalie is totally incognito during that scene. None of the boys think she is in the suit. They think it's another boy--Nick Devito. 

Searching for new books to read is a small part of my love for books. What are some determining factors when you are selecting new books to read? Current favorites?

I like taking recommendations from my friends. And as for books that I'm attracted to, I am all about the voice. I just read Diablo Cody's memoir (she wrote the movie Juno) and it was incredible. 

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Sigh. Yes, I'm afraid I do. I won't use cover to ultimately make up my mind, but yes...it is considered. 

The blogging community is growing daily. What influences do you think bloggers have on writers?  

For me, it's always exciting to see a blogger "get" my book. I'm not so much thinking about them as I write, but I definitely feel so lucky to  have advocates all over the internet talking about my books and helping create some buzz. 

I think the music we listen to can tell a lot about who we are. If you could make a playlist that reveals something about you, which songs would you include?

Great question! I am going to put my top 5 most played songs on my iTunes. 

1. Joy Division - LOVE WILL TEAR US APART AGAIN (probably my most favorite song ever)
2. New Order - AGE OF CONSENT (this song totally brings me back to my wild, rebellious youth. sneaking out, smoking cigarettes, making out with boys, all that good stuff) 
3. The Hidden Cameras - A MIRACLE (this is just a super sad love song and i loved the stripped down guitar)
4. The Radio Dept. - PULLING OUR WEIGHT EP version (This is my go-to song come the first cold September day. Feels so Autumn-y and fall.)
5. Air - PLAYGROUND LOVE (so moody and depressing. also, from one of my favorite movies, The Virgin Suicides)

Are you are currently working on anything new? Is there anything you would like to share about it?

I am! I just turned in my first draft of what will be my 4th YA novel. I think the title is going to be THE LIST, or something like that. And it's all about girls, identity, and beauty.

Thanks Siobhan for your interview!



1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs