Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Zero by Tom Leveen






Zero
by Tom Leveen
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers
Publication Date April 24, 2012
Pages: 304
Source: Netgalley










For aspiring artist Amanda Walsh, who only half-jokingly goes by the nickname Zero, the summer before college was supposed to be fun—plain and simple. Hanging out with her best friend Jenn, going to clubs, painting, and counting down the days until her escape. But when must-have scholarship money doesn't materialize, and she has a falling out with Jenn that can only be described as majorly awkward, and Zero's parents relationship goes from tense to relentless fighting, her prospects start looking as bleak and surreal as a painting by her idol Salvador Dali. Will life truly imitate art? Will her new, unexpected relationship with a punk skater boy who seems too good to be real and support from the unlikeliest of sources show Zero that she's so much more than a name. (from Goodreads)


My Thoughts

I have pretty much gushed over all of the books that I've read recently, but I can't help it. They have just been so fantastic and now Tom Leveen's Zero can be added to the bunch. Amanda, aka Zero, just don't call her Amy, is a main character that is easy to relate to. She's a little awkward, a bit unsure, a big dreamer, but needs that little boost of confidence that no one has given her and she can't seem to find within herself.

Amanda has just graduated from high school and as her summer plans have been set off track, her friendship with her one friend is on the rocks, so she takes some steps to make her own way. First by approaching the super-cute drummer of the ska-punk band, Gothic Rainbow - a bold move she never imagined herself doing. As their relationship blossoms, she begins to take more chances - with her friendships, with her art, and with her relationships with her parents.

This was a fun book to read too with many highs, many lows. Laugh out loud moments, oh my gosh - I can't believe that happened moments. Sweet, tender kisses, and some hot, steamy romance - seriously. There's music and mosh pits and Amanda's art. One wish that I have for this book is that it was illustrated - I could imagine Amanda's art, but I wanted to SEE it.

Zero is another book I will be recommending here and to my friends. This contemporary read is where it's at. 

Disclaimer: I requested and received the book for review from NetGalley. Thoughts and opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for providing a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs