Monday, February 20, 2012

No More Us for You by David Hernandez





No More Us for You
by David Hernandez
Published by: Harper Teen
Publication Date: January 27, 2009
Pages: 281
Source: Library







For a life to come together, sometimes it first has to fall completely apart. 

Isabel is a regular seventeen-year-old girl, still reeling from the pain of her boyfriend's tragic death exactly one year ago. 

Carlos is a regular seventeen-year-old guy, loves red licorice and his friends, and works at a fancy art museum for some extra cash. 

The two have no connection until they both meet Vanessa, an intriguing new transfer student with a mysterious past. While Vanessa is the link that brings these two very different lives together, will she be the one that can also tear them apart? (from Goodreads)

My Thoughts:


Lately it is very rare that I will select a book to read without knowing anything about it. I find most of my books from author sites, blogs, or bookstore sites that I visit. Or I select books by authors who I have read before. And sometimes I find something great that I wasn't even looking for. No More Us for You is one such book. I went to the library to check out a different book, and I spent a few moments seeing if there were any other books I might want to read. The title snagged me immediately. I just knew it was a book about relationships, obviously, but contemporary and with a title like that, it was going to be smart, clever, entertaining. The copy I have doesn't have the cover art, and honestly it may have made me hesitate just a little bit to read it. While the cover does tie in the with story, I don't think that it captures what the story is about at all.

Told from alternating perspectives (you know how I love this technique), I learned about the lives of Isobel and Carlos. Both guarded coming from broken relationships, they hesitate in beginning a friendship (and possibly more). They both are vulnerable and likable, but smart in knowing that, because of their pasts, a friendship may be the best thing for them. I also got to see the lives of their friends and how their choices and experiences affected Isobel and Carlos.

No More Us for You is filled with teen angst, tenderness, and moments that will rip your heart out and moments that will make your heart feel full. I was happy to meet these characters, see a glimpse into their lives and wish for them to have a bright future.

1 comment:

  1. The title of this immediately draws me in! Glad to hear it's a good read.

    -Melanie from Melanie's Musings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs