Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Review: Liam's Journey by Heidi McLaughlin





Liam's Journey
(Finding My Way/Forever My Girl bind-up)
by Heidi McLaughlin
Publication Date: June 13, 2014
Pages: 484
Source: Purchased
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon (for a limited time)





From Goodreads

The journey for Liam begins at eighteen. Having, what many would consider the brightest future, he gives it all up for the unknown.

The bright lights beckon, but hearts break. Liam’s successful, smart and lonely. When a loss hits too close, he puts everything behind him to return home.

To go back means to remember.

To remember means to hurt again.

Lives changed when Liam Westbury left Beaumont and they’ll change again once he returns as Liam Page.

Books 1 & 4 of The Beaumont Series - Together for a limited time only!


My Thoughts

I love this bind-up of Finding My Way and Forever My Girl. We get to see the journey of Liam Westbury becoming Liam Page. I'm including excerpts from my original reviews for the books that I loved so much.

Finding My Way:
I read a lot of young adult books and that is probably the reason why Forever My Girl flashback scenes were some of my favorite parts of that book. I loved reading about the young Liam and Josie. In Finding My Way, Heidi outdoes herself and adds depth by giving us those moments again and what led up to them and what happens after. It isn't a repetition of something that we've already read. New meaning is given to those moments and we get to see how complex Liam and Josie's relationship really is.

What I love most about Finding My Way is how Heidi has given us a vulnerable Liam. He is young and unsure. Heidi captures that doubt of adolescence, of Liam becoming an adult and making decisions and choosing a path that he wants to pursue. He doesn't always know if the decisions he makes are the right ones, but he has to take a chance to find out.

Forever My Girl:
I love when I start reading a new book and getting swept up in the story from the very beginning. That is exactly what happened while reading Forever My Girl. The alternating point of views let me know what Liam and Josie were thinking and feeling which allowed for an immediate connection to the characters. They both were experiencing a significant loss - the death of a friend - and it was I though I was experiencing their loss. I was that caught up and I admit there were even a few tears shed.

Some parts of the story are told in flashbacks and these were some of my favorite parts of the book. In these moments, it was apparent just how much Josie and Liam meant to each other and loved each other. Their love was a young love, but real and overwhelming.

Forever My Girl had me on an emotional roller coaster. There was a heaviness to it, but there were many smiles, some laughs, heart-warming moments, and lot of anticipation. It is a really sexy story and the idea of what might be contributes to that. The story builds and builds and I hoped that Liam and Josie would end up together, but there for a while I could see the possibility that I might not happen. A lot of time had passed, Josie suffered a lot of pain when Liam left, and she had a lot of healing to do and feared that her heart would be shattered all over again.

There are very few adult series that I continue to read as the series progresses whether is it because I get bored with the characters or the storyline, or you know, so many books, so little time. But as I've said before, these are characters that I don't want to let go of. I love reading about the characters of Beaumont and the stories that Heidi likes to tell. As long as she keeps writing, I'll keep reading.


Disclaimer: This review is based on the e-book which I purchased for my personal library. I was not compensated in any way for providing this review. Thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs