Thursday, August 13, 2015

Interview with PLACID GIRL author Brenna Ehrlich


Today on the blog I'm hosting Brenna Ehrlich author of Placid Girl - available August 25, 2015 from All Ages Press.



Punk was created for the malcontents, something that loner and aspiring drummer Hallie understands all too well. Trapped in a boring suburban life – dysfunctional parents included! – Hallie drowns her angst in the angry songs of Haze, a masked musician who has not been heard from in five years. So naturally she’s surprised – and more than a little skeptical – when someone who seems to be Haze starts flirting with her via her favorite photo-sharing app. Is he who he says he is? What does he want from her? The questions only multiply when Hallie — along with bandmate Sarah and aspiring music journalist Steve — roadtrip to Haze's comeback gig to unmask the reclusive musician once and for all.


Add to Goodreads * Pre-order on Amazon



Welcome Brenna!!

What are some of the books that made you fall in love with reading and writing?
I like the dark and twisted books. I would say some of the books that made me want to write were "The Catcher In The Rye" (gotta love Holden -- or not, if you want to have a healthy relationship ever), "A Clockwork Orange" (the way Anthony Burgess uses language is incredible), every single Robert Cormier book (we NEED more YA like that) and "Lolita" (English wasn't even dude's first language and most of us will never be that good). Also, on a less dark note, "The Princess And The Goblin," which you MUST read all in one night when it's raining and you're drinking tea.


What is the best piece of writing advice you ever received?
Kill your darlings. Seriously. Those darlings need murdering. I have an entire unpublished book of darlings that can attest to that. Because they are still alive and should not be.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Don't listen to any advice than anyone gives you -- ever. Writing is personal. If you're going to write, you're going to write your way -- and that's the right way. (I really didn't intend to pun right there and I kind of hate myself.)

Tell me five things about yourself.
1. I really like to mosh. Like, too much. Like, until I am gross and sweaty and have bruised the shit out of my knees. 

2. I have been in love with David Bowie since I was six years old.

3. I am legally blind out of my left eye and I should probably, you know, get that looked at more closely (again, with the terrible puns).

4. My greatest regret is that I can't sing -- but my bigger regret is that I didn't use my lack of singing to start my own punk band when I was a teen.

5. I actually have a cat named Edie, like in the book, and she's a biter.


Thanks for stopping by and sharing (and I enjoyed the puns)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs