Friday, July 15, 2011

Love My Indie with Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner

Love My Indie is a feature where fellow bloggers, readers, and authors tell me about their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them. Maybe one day I will have the chance to visit these amazing bookstores.
If you're interested in participating in this feature, please send me an email at actinupwb@gmail.com - I'd love to hear from you and discover your favorite indie bookstore! 
 Showing some Indie Love today is:



Credit: Photo by R. Kennedy for GPTMC

When I think of my indie I just want to bust out singing the Cheers theme song....."WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAAAAME"

Seriously. The Doylestown Bookshop is my local indie here in the suburbs of Philadelphia and if they served cocktails and greasy bar food I'd probably be in there just as much as the Cheers gang. Minus the fact that I'd go broke. The Doylestown Bookshop sits in the cute downtown of Doylestown and is surrounded with awesome restaurants  and cute local shops along with your typical chain stuff - - Starbucks, Gap, Rita's, etc. It's a good blend and Doylestown Bookshop is in the heart of it all since opening its doors in 1998.

The bookshop is smaller but it doesn't feel that way when you are in it. I typically find what I'm looking for but sometimes I don't but I still love browsing. They have a really nice area for children's books and children's toys to entertain the little ones, the YA is a good size congruent to how big the shop is and the Adult section is quite wonderful with a mix of walls carrying local interest, travelogues (umm you KNOW I'm there a lot) and other interesting non-fiction.

I love the community that they have built at the store. There are such a variety of book clubs and book signings and they are all run so well and you never really feel awkward being there. I've attended quite a few events there and I've had such a wonderful experience in such an intimate setting...getting to rub shoulders with David Levithan was AWESOME at such a small signing because you really get to have some fun. It's also nice because for some of the larger events (ie RICHELLE MEAD!) there is a museum right across the street that will hold it in a larger room. I also really love their ARC program and have gotten quite a few books from it. Basically they have shelves set up and you can sign out 2 ARCS and review them on their website. It's so nice to get my hands on ARCS that I might not get sent. I'm always stopping in to see if they have added any new ones.


Jamie with David Levithan and Rachel Cohn
I love my indie so much that I'm in the process of partnering up with them to get some really great YA events (and some adult) in the store.  I just love that I am  always greeted with a friendly smile, that they don't seem annoyed or like it is inconvenient if I have a question or need a book recommendation and I love that I don't get dirty looks when I've browsed for an hour or so and walk out without buying anything. Sometimes I just love to browse and Doylestown Bookshop is my ultimate place to just explore the books on the shelf in peace and quiet and find something I eventually want to buy.

Thanks Jamie for telling me about your favorite indie bookstore. If I ever open my own bookstore, I would want everyone who enters to hear the Cheers theme-song and feel right at home like you do at The Doylestown Bookshop. The ARC program sounds really cool and it's great that they offer them to their patrons. I'm excited to learn more about your partnership with the store. Can't wait to hear more about it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me! Im a moron though...I meant to say in the suburbs of philadelphia lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed it! Thanks for sharing. I hope to make it there on my next trip to Philadelphia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doylstown! I live in South Philly so I might have to check this indie out some time. It looks so awesome. My local indie is a bit small but I really love it ^-^

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs