Friday, February 22, 2013

Love My Indie with Author Laurie Boyle Crompton

It's Love My Indie: Comic Book Edition!!


Love My Indie is a feature where fellow bloggers, readers, and authors tell me about their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them.

Showing some Indie Love today is:
 
Laurie Boyle Crompton
author of Blaze (Or, Love in the Time of Supervillians)

  Hope you don’t mind but I’m going to cheat a bit and write about my favorite comic book store today. Midtown Comics in NYC is absolutely the best place for a geek like me to spend time browsing around. There are a few locations around the city, but the one I like the best is the one that’s on 40th Street and 7th Avenue with superheroes in the big purple windows and the giant white Spiderman sign on the corner of Times Square. I grew up in the country but feel so lucky that I live close to the city now. When I walk into Times Square I feel like I’m entering another world and I love the fact that Spiderman is sitting right there on the corner of 7th watching over the crowd where he belongs. 

Laurie at Midtown Comics

The original comic book collection that helped inspire Blaze’s story belongs to my stepfather who lives with my mum in Butler, PA. the town where I grew up. Since I live 400 miles away in New York I wasn’t always able to access that collection while writing Blaze’s story. Midtown Comics really saved my butt a few times when I needed to do some quick research! It seemed like no matter which issue of what series I needed it was always available and I hit their Ghost Rider collection pretty hard without coming close to making a dent. They have two whole floors packed with comics and the stairwell is watched over by authentically dressed superhero mannequins. They also have lots of cool tee shirts and memorabilia and a thing called ‘the great wall of action figures’ which is every bit as cool as that sounds. Seriously, the place is full of awesome. Not to mention they have a great staff ready to talk comics at a moment’s notice. You probably don’t even need to be a comic book geek when you walk in there - if you spend enough time you’ll be one when you walk out. 
 
Thank you Laurie for sharing your favorite comic book store. It sounds like a comic book lover's dream. The next time I am in NYC, I'll have to stop in and see what it is all about. I'll make sure to allow for a long visit because it sounds overwhelming and I want to see it all!
 
Laurie Boyle Crompton is the author of Blaze (Or, Love in the Time of Supervillians) published by Sourcebooks Fire and is available now. You can read my review HERE.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to visit that comic book store next time I am in NYC too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs