Friday, June 10, 2011

Love My Indie with author Mariela Kleiner

Love My Indie is a feature where fellow bloggers, readers, and authors tell me about their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them. Maybe one day I will have the chance to visit these amazing bookstores.

Showing some Indie Love today is:
Mariela Kleiner, author of Meet Einstein

Growing up in the small city of Palo Alto, California, the local hangout was Cafe Borrone's and the bookstore right next to it, Kepler's Books (http://www.keplers.com/). It was a combo deal- you'd go get some coffee or a treat with friends and wonder into Keplers to browse for books. Now, I find myself living in Palo Alto with my husband and two kids, and going to Kepler's to read my children's book, Meet Einstein, during the story hour. Out of all the bookstore readings I've done for my book, this was the most meaningful, since Kepler's was MY bookstore growing up. I had a special connection to it, and I didn't expect to get all choked-up when I walked in to do my reading, but that's exactly what happened. 

I managed to get through the story hour without tears, but I truly felt honored to be there as an author. All Palo Altans hold Kepler's in high regard for holding great author events and having a big selection of books, but we also appreciate its lasting factor that its been THE local (and independent) bookstore for 56 years. I look forward to going to Kepler's with my coffee and bringing my kids with me to share in the experience as they grow up in Palo Alto. 

I've also had the great treat of reading at the bookstore that is just blocks from my house, Books, Inc. (http://www.booksinc.net/) in Palo Alto. Books, Inc. is the strong independent bookstore that has managed to spread through the Bay Area. What I love about this store is the bookstore employee comment cards that are next to some of the books. Through these comment cards, the bookstore offers a very personal review of many of the books displayed, which highlight the strengths of the book and why it was an "employee favorite." I love readings these cards, and often base my buying decisions on them, since it feels like a friend just
 recommended it!
 They are a great supporter of local authors, as well, and were so welcoming to me for my reading of "Meet Einstein." I love coming with my kids and browsing for new and recommended books, and its quickly become one of our family's local favorite hang-outs.
Thanks Mariela!  I bet it was an amazing experience for you to read at Kepler's - the sense of coming home. I admit I am completely jealous that you have grown-up with this bookstore and can continue sharing it with your family.

If you're interested in participating in this feature, please send me an email at actinupwb@gmail.com - I'd love to hear from you and discover your favorite indie bookstore!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs