Thursday, May 30, 2019

Review: THE BRIDE TEST by Helen Hoang



THE BRIDE TEST
by Helen Hoang
Publication Date: May 7, 2019
Published by Berkley
Pages: 296
Source: Publisher | Netgalley








Synopsis

Khai Diep has no feelings. Well, he feels irritation when people move his things or contentment when ledgers balance down to the penny, but not big, important emotions—like grief. And love. He thinks he’s defective. His family knows better—that his autism means he just processes emotions differently. When he steadfastly avoids relationships, his mother takes matters into her own hands and returns to Vietnam to find him the perfect bride.

As a mixed-race girl living in the slums of Ho Chi Minh City, Esme Tran has always felt out of place. When the opportunity arises to come to America and meet a potential husband, she can’t turn it down, thinking this could be the break her family needs. Seducing Khai, however, doesn’t go as planned. Esme’s lessons in love seem to be working…but only on herself. She’s hopelessly smitten with a man who’s convinced he can never return her affection.

With Esme’s time in the United States dwindling, Khai is forced to understand he’s been wrong all along. And there’s more than one way to love.



My Thoughts

"Em yêu anh yêu em."

Just like THE KISS QUOTIENT, I adored THE BRIDE TEST. I liked how this couple was brought together by a loving, but meddling mother who was trying to find a companion for her son. I loved Khai and Esme's interactions and how two seemingly different people fit together so perfectly. I liked that neither of them tried to be who they thought the other person needed or who they wanted, but I'd felt bad for Esme for the things she thought she had to keep a secret for Khai. 

One of my favorite scenes includes Khai, Quan, and Michael (yes, TKQ Michael!). It make me laugh so much as they tried to give Khai some guidance with Esme. And Quan gave Khai some of the best book recommendations!

THE BRIDE TEST is full of compassion and humor and made me laugh and smile and sometimes get a bit teary-eyed. I loved it!


Disclaimer:  I requested this e-ARC from the publisher for review consideration. I was not compensated in any way other than the e-ARC provided. I've purchaed a finished copy for my personal library. Thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs