Tuesday, July 13, 2021

New Release: UP ALL NIGHT: 13 Stories between Sunset and Sunrise

 

UP ALL NIGHT: 13 Stories between Sunset and Sunrise
edited by Laura Silverman
Publication Date: July 13, 2021
Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher

Synopsis
 
When everyone else goes to bed, the ones who stay up feel like they’re the only people in the world. As the hours tick by deeper into the night, the familiar drops away and the unfamiliar beckons. Adults are asleep, and a hush falls over the hum of daily life. Anything is possible.

It’s a time for romance and adventure. For prom night and ghost hunts. It’s a time for breaking up, for falling in love—for finding yourself.

Stay up all night with these thirteen short stories from bestselling and award-winning YA authors like Karen McManus, Tiffany D. Jackson, Nina LaCour, and Brandy Colbert, as they take readers deep into these rarely seen, magical hours.

Full contributor list: Brandy Colbert, Kathleen Glasgow, Maurene Goo, Tiffany D. Jackson, Amanda Joy, Nina LaCour, Karen M. McManus, Anna Meriano, Marieke Nijkamp, Laura Silverman, Kayla Whaley, Julian Winters, Francesca Zappia

MY THOUGHTS

My sleep schedule is completely off, so it’s very fitting UP ALL NIGHT is my current late night read. This part of the description:  “It’s a time for romance and adventure. For prom night and ghost hunts. It’s a time for breaking up, for falling in love, for finding yourself” is what ultimately persuaded me that I needed to read this short story collection.  Plus I was reading contributing author Karen McManus’s latest book, THE COUSINS, when I learned of UP ALL NIGHT, and I was enjoying her book so much, I was convinced.


One thing that excites me about UP ALL NIGHT is that most of the authors are new-to-me. With the exception of Nina LaCour (LOVE HER BOOKS) and Karen McManus, I have the opportunity to find new authors to read. That’s one of my favorite things about short story collections is discovering new-to-me authors and getting the chance to read the words on some favorites too. 


As an adult reading UP ALL NIGHT, there is a sense of nostalgia for my high school years. I have fond (and not-so-fond) memories of late night adventures with my friends and these stories take me back to those moments when everything felt significant and you were living in the moment. 


And that’s another thing that I love about reading, and reading these stories specifically, is that it can ignite a spark of creativity. This UP ALL NIGHT collection gives me the urge (and maybe some courage) to pick up a pen and write some of my own stories. 


I’ve read a handful of these stories and am sure that I’ll read the rest soon enough. These sleepless nights are becoming all too common. Thank goodness for books.


Disclaimer: I received this ARC from the publisher for review consideration. I was not compensated in any way other than the ARC provided. Thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs