Thursday, December 2, 2010

PUSH Spotlight: Same Difference by Siobhan Vivian

Emily is ready for a change. She's been in the same town with the same friends for a long time...and none of them really understand her art. But when she goes to Philadelphia for a summer art institute, she suddenly finds like-minded people. One in particular, Fiona, intrigues and challenges her. But there are some things Emily is going to have to find out for herself -- like what the balance is between life and art, and which is more important when push comes to shove. 


I just finished Siobhan Vivian's second novel Same Difference, and I loved it. She has created a likable character in Emily who is beginning to realize a new sense of self during her summer art program and discovers just how intoxicating new friendships can be.

I could see many similarities between Emily and myself when I was a teenager - how unsure I was of myself and my talents and a bit nervous when making new friends. Like Emily, I had the same best friend since childhood and would sometimes be cautious when making new friends. It felt like a bit of a betrayal, but not for any specific reason - just that our friendship was so rooted in history and I'd question how much of myself I'd want this new friend to know about me. 

Vivian's details are captivating - making me feel like I could actually see the art created Emily, Fiona and Yates and wishing that I could. There isn't a lot of action that pulls the story along, but the authentic characters and their experiences in Same Difference reminds me why I'm drawn to YA lit time and time again. 
     
  

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one but it sounds cool. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read this one this year too and really loved it. it was compelling and so teenagery :)

    loved reading your thoughts on it.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting this title on my radar. PUSH titles have always been popular with my students, and I'll be eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the review. Sounds like an interesting story and also reminds me of myself. I made my best friend in 1st grade and never really let myself grow up from that friendship even when we outgrew each other. Think I'll have to read this one.

    Heather
    Buried in Books

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs