Saturday, February 19, 2011

In My Mailbox (23)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme run by The Story Siren which explores the books that have been delivered to our mailbox or doorstep or directly into our hot little hands.

This week's IMM is subtitled "Why I have the BEST brother-in-law EVER!"



Gifted:
Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Library:
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Won:
Teenie by Christopher Grant
Thank you Random House/Random Buzzers

This week was awesome. I received Cryer's Cross from my brother-in-law and it's a pretty funny story how that happened. I just recently joined Simon and Schuster's Galley Grab and was loading the book that was offered to me which was Cryer's Cross. After I downloaded it, the message alerted me that I had 45 minutes to read it. My jaw just dropped. What? But why? Then I remembered that you can only access the book until the day it is published (which was going to be in 45 minutes). So I just accepted the fact that I was going to miss out on it and would just buy it some time later.

The next  morning, I was still thinking about the book so I checked out Lisa's McMann's website and saw that she was going on a book tour. Knowing that Lisa wouldn't be coming near my town, I still wanted to see where she was going to go. I about lost my "stuff" when I saw that she was going to be signing at Mysterious Galaxy bookstore in San Diego that very night. This is definitely not near my house (I am in Virginia), but it is very close to where my brother-in-law lives. So I sent him a text in a flash (forgetting the 3 hour time difference) and he agreed to do it - no hesitation, no questions asked! He really is the best. After some tweeting and a little more texting (and a phone call to Mysterious Galaxy confirming that Lisa would be there and there would be plenty of books available), we were all set (and Lisa knew that some guy was coming to get a book signed for his sister-in-law - thanks Twitter).  So here he is with Lisa McMann and my signed copy of Cryer's Cross!



Here's a little FYI for all of you Melissa Marr fans. If you are in San Diego or near San Diego, Melissa will be at Mysterious Galaxy on Wednesday, February 23rd. If you have the chance, you should check it out. It is a great indie bookstore. I'll be visiting again this summer and it makes me happy just thinking about it - yes I am a dork. I know it and I don't care.

If you're still reading this, thanks! (I probably should have done a vlog) I can't wait to check out what you got in your mailbox!


11 comments:

  1. Lol that's a great story - you have an awesome brother-in-law!
    I've got Cryer's Cross on my tbr pile - looking forward to it.
    I really really want to read Please Ignore Vera Dietz so I am going to have to get that one soon.
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-my-mailbox-7_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! That's so awesome of your brother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you do have a great brother in law! i also got Cryer's Cross this week. it sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An awesome mailbox! They all look fab. Happy reading :)
    Check out what's In My Mailbox

    Mia @GrippedintoBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. GalleyGrab sounds so cool! I want to check it out.

    Cryers Cross also sounds amazing...I've seen great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard great things about Cryer's Cross! I really hope you enjoy it and awesome photo! <3 Happy reading!

    Check out what's IMM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the people at Mysterious Galley (not in person, but through email and a group), and have ordered from them. GREAT people!
    Good story about how you got the book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he should win the best bro-in-law ever award! I have Cryer's Cross too and can't wait to read it. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great story! Enjoy your books! A friend of mine got me A.S. King's book - I still need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great brother-in-law! I've seen Cryer's Cross all over the blogsphere this week due to Lisa's tour, but I'll be missing out on this book--I scare much too easily!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He really is great. The funny part (that I just found about) is my husband called him and asked him why he did it and said that he (his brother) was making him (my husband) look bad. So funny.

    Jayme-it does sound pretty creepy. Even the promo on Lisa's website freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs