Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Curiosity with a Capital S


 

Curiosity with a Capital S
by Tonya Trimble
Publisher: Tell Me Press
Available: August 1, 2011






Ten-year-old Tracy worships her big brother, Stan, even though his insatiable curiosity often leads him—and Tracy—into unexpected, eye-opening, and sometimes frightening adventures. When Tracy’s family moves to a beautiful South Carolina island during World War II, whole new opportunities for exploration and adventure unfold. Tracy watches with admiration as her brother grows up and learns to channel his curiosity to find his life’s passion and pursue his dreams.

Curiosity with a Capital S was an enjoyable read. The stories and misadventures of brother and sister, Stan and Tracy is told from the viewpoint of younger sister, Tracy. From the very beginning it is clear that Stan is quite a handful in the family - always looking for adventure and has a wondering, wandering mind. Tracy does all that she can to keep in step with her older brother - often when she knows better but she follows him in to trouble as adoring, younger sisters do. 

I liked the variety of adventures that were told in Curiosity with a Capital S because it took me back to a time when I was younger and went exploring with my cousins or friends. For Stan and Tracy, television wasn't a source of entertainment and they went out and created their own fun.  I liked that the author explored a lot of hobbies and interests for her characters. Children are complex and should have the opportunity to find out what they like and not be so limited in their pursuits. However, Stan was so curious that he put himself in some dangerous situations.

My favorite quote from the book was from when Stan was found doing maintenance in the school's boiler room, "I had everything working perfectly! I can't understand why grown-ups get so upset when they discover I can do something they don't think I should be able to do yet. Adults are strange." 

Here I think he is saying something profound, but the situation does call for a little more guidance. And I will admit that I was surprised that Stan and Tracy often were not punished for a lot of the trouble that they got into. They were easily forgiven or Stan's misbehavior was brushed aside because he was "just so curious"  and at times, that was not very believable. 

All in all, I enjoyed reading Curiosity with a Capital S and would share it with all of the middle grade readers I know.

Author’s blog 
 
A comprehensive reader’s and teacher’s guide is available for download:

Curiosity with a Capital S on Facebook:

1 comment:

  1. I love middle-grade books and this sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs