Friday, October 17, 2014

Love My Indie Bookstore with Heather from The Turning Pages


Love My Indie is a feature where fellow bloggers, readers, and authors share their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them.

Showing some Indie Love today is on of my favorite bloggers:



Heather of The Turning Pages

I've made it a mission of mine to visit an indie bookstore wherever I travel. This all came about when I visited my very first indie back in 2012 & immediately knew that indie bookstores are something to be treasured. They are the kind of place that you walk into and instantly feel their warmth and welcome take you in. They are the kind of place that as you walk slowly through the aisles, hear the hundreds of stories calling your name. And they are the kind of place that take your breath away and as you take a deep breath to collect yourself, smell the sweet, leathery scent that any book lover has come to know. 

When Joli approached me about writing about my favorite indie, I struggled to pick just one! After taking some time and going back and forth between my top three, there is one that I just can't help but share. 

 
The Strand Book Store in the city that never sleeps, NYC, is any book lovers paradise. It is the home of 18 MILES. . .yes, you read that right. . .of books! I had the opportunity to visit the Strand this past May after traveling to NYC for Book Expo America. After spending two days among the madness that is BEA, I didn't think a bookstore could take my breath away the way an entire book expo did, but I was wrong. Just walking down the street and seeing the red Strand banner swaying in the breeze, I stopped and stared. Call me crazy, but I teared up a little bit. Hey, it happens when I get really excited about something.


When I walked in, I couldn't help but struggling to close my gaping mouth. It was a sight to be seen! Every square inch of that bookshop is filled with books and anything having to do with the written word. So much to look at and not enough time in one day to look at it all. I tried to capture it all in a picture, but it's definitely not possible when there are multiple floors and 18 miles of books to be seen. So a little snapshot will have to do. 
 
 
My favorite part? The moment where I had to go grab a ladder to get a book from the top shelf. Yes, there are ladders placed all about so you can help yourself. It was my Belle moment and took everything in me not to break out in song. 
 

Another thing I loved? The prices! I purchased a hardback for only $9! That's pretty good if you ask me and something I wasn't expecting. So, if you're ever in NYC, I highly recommend setting aside some time to explore the Strand. I know that I'll be going back if I ever find myself living the city life again. 
 
 
Heather Sheffield is the creator of The Turning Pages where she blogs along with her cousin Christie. She also devotes her time as an Author's Assistant. You can follow her on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! I love this post! I could picture Heather getting teary-eyed. I love that she gets teary about extremely happy moments. That's a great heart & soul.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs