Monday, January 30, 2012

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour






The Disenchantments
by Nina LaCour
Published by Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date February 16, 2012











Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?
(from Goodreads)

Why do I read young adult books? The Disenchantments IS WHY I read young adult. It is the reason I read contemporary. It was like hanging out with my best friends.

Nina LaCour’s sophomore novel, The Disenchantments, is the story of four friends having one last hurrah before going their separate ways after graduating high school. Well that’s the simple, uncomplicated description. But in one moment, Bev’s decision to go her own away, complicates everything.

I felt like I was there with Colby, Bev, Meg and Alexa in the VW bus singing along with them. Hanging out with them before their shows and all of their late night adventures.  I was in the moment. I was there for all of the fun - eating at the diners, stopping at neighborhood lemonade stands, looking for sea glass and other treasures on the beach -but I was there for all of the awkward silences too. Some many things just waiting to be said, that needed to be said. I think this is what I loved most about reading The Disenchantments - really being in the story.

I loved the camaraderie of the characters. It was obvious that they all cared for each other. There were so many tender moments between them to be savored. Sisters spending their last week together before older sister Meg moved away for college. Best friends trying to understand what they really mean to each other. All of them scared that they will become different and their friendships may never be the same. But also, they were hopeful of all of the potential and possibilities of their future.

I’m realizing that I read this book from such a nostalgic perspective that, just maybe, I haven’t really expressed what a fun and adventurous book The Disenchantments really is. And oh boy (or girl) IT IS!! There are late nights spent dancing, a tattoo (or few), music you just want to belt out to - Heart, The Runaways, and always (thanks to Meg) The Supremes, and there’s even a hot tub scene! And the concerts, well, just read this book because there are no words, really.

I loved this book and can’t wait until it comes out so I can get my own copy to read over and over again. It will be like spending time with some old friends.

I received the ARC for review as part of the Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really cute story. I'll be looking out for it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i am seriously so excited for this book (even more so now) awesome review, joli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been planning on reading this book for sometime now. Your review is great, and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs