Monday, January 16, 2012

Coincidences and Connections

So I'm sitting here reading a book and I come across something that seems familiar. Like I just read that in the previous book. I'm not talking about the plot or the storyline - just little similarities like the name of a character or the state where the book is set. So far this month I have read seven books and I can link six of them to at least one other in one way or another. This has happened before. Last year I read 2 or 3 books in a row where the main character played the guitar or the character was reading a book that a character from another book was reading. Not a big deal, just a coincidence. 

There are just too many coincidences that I couldn't help but share them. 

Here are the books I've read so far (in order read):

Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Major Crush by Jennifer Echols, Girl Meets Boy ed. by Kelly Millner Halls, The Wolf by Steven Herrick, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Site by Jennifer E. Smith and Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

and here are the connections:

Has a main character who is 5'2"
  • Delirium
  • Major Crush
  • Girl Meets Boy
Has a character who lives on a farm
  • Major Crush
  • Girl Meets Boy
  • The Wolf
  • Cryer's Cross
Has a character named Alex
  • Delirium
  • Paper Covers Rock
  • Girl Meets Boy
Has a character who is a runner/athlete (not so unusual but it plays a big part in the character's life)
  • Paper Covers Rock
  • Delirium
  • Cryer's Cross
Has a character named Lena
  • Delirium - Lena, short for Magdalena
  • Cryer's Cross - Lena, short for Marlena (she is rarely referred to as Lena, but still)
Now those first two are just weird to me - characters who are 5'2" in 3 books in a row and so many people living on farms.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight doesn't have a character named Alex who is a runner that lives on a farm. There is one way it can be linked to all the others, but I don't want to share it because it may be a bit spoilery. So just go and read it already!

So I am wondering, does anyone else pick up on these small little details from book to book? I'd love to read your coincidences and connections in the comments, but please don't leave any spoilers. Thanks!

    1 comment:

    1. Wow. That is bizarre! I mostly notice characters of the same name that crop up all over the place e.g. last year was Evie, this year it is Brie - and perhaps this doesn't count but a lot of authors with the same first names?

      You seem to pay close attention! I don't think I would have noticed if characters' heights were thrown in - but maybe if I had read them in a row... Hmm ~.^

      I am curious to see what you are referring to with The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight (that book looks SO GOOD) and the rest of the books! Can't wait! :)

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     
    Imagination Designs